[Wine] Flash, Shockwave, 3dVia plugins

TiberiusT wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 21 03:08:29 CDT 2011

Firstly, I apologise for the blatant help me  nature of this question but time is really against me and I wondered if any experienced Linux/Wine users would be able to give me some basic pointers from their own experiences.

I have built 2 very budget PCs for my kids (8+5) running Ubuntu 10.04 x32. Both have good Nvidia graphics and can play HD video. In fact everything is tip top apart from Web browsing - which is a very important requirement considering the wealth of educational stuff on the net nowadays. Problem is that most of these edu sites use:

- Flash (works on Linux) or...
- Shockwave (doesn’t work on Linux) or
- 3dVia (doesn’t work on Linux)

So I tried Wine 1.3.21. Firefox for Windows (both 3.6.17 and 4) run fine (I installed with and without Winetricks) and so does installing shockwave flash (10.3.181.26), but then as soon as a shockwave site is loaded...bang! The Firefox screen turns monochrome and it crashes.

Investigations (google...google...google...) have led me to I assume that I cannot have my kids using Linux (or Wine), and give them the full modern web experience? Is my assumption correct? Maybe there’s another browser that integrates the plugins better? There’s no way I’m using Windows...

Tks in advance anyone, even if the answer is ‘you’re right m8...give up’.