[Wine] Setting up a non-install .exe?

Anna Wiggins annabunches at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:00:06 CDT 2011

On 06/21/2011 01:37 PM, mpercy725 wrote:
> Hey y'all, I have a program that I downloaded of which the .exe file is the entire program. It is not an install executable. On my Windows machine it simply runs the program when opened. How do I set up this executable in Wine? Thus far I get the error:
>
> user at user:~$ wine thumbcache_viewer.exe
> fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC90.CRT"
> err:module:import_dll Library MSVCR90.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\thumbcache_viewer.exe") not found
> err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\thumbcache_viewer.exe" failed, status c0000135

You don't do anything special to run such an executable - wine handles
it like any other executable, and the way you are invoking it is correct.

the problem is that you're missing a file: as you can see in the
second-to-last line of your output there, MSVCR90.dll isn't being found.
So, you'll need a copy of that library for your program to work.

- Anna