[Wine] installation

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com tony.chamberlain at lemko.com
Tue Jun 21 14:00:26 CDT 2011

I just installed wine and am having trouble installing.  I get the message

     The authority of the current user is limited.  The program will exit

further details show

     Only members of the administrators group can install programs

I found something on the web page about creating a windows user with no
password, and doing a lot of changes to /etc/sudoers adding WINDOWS_ADMIN
and WINDOWS_USERS and several other things.  I did this and still got the
same error.

Then I thought maybe I needed to make a new group so I did

     groupadd administrators
     usermod -a -G administrators chamberl
     usermod -a -G administrators root

and logged out and back in (to get me into that group) but when I tried
to install I still got the same error message.  There is probably something
simple I am missing, but I can't figure it out.  Can anyone help?

This is LinuxMint.  Can't find the version but the kernel is
2.6.35-22-generic #35-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 20:36:48 and wine is
wine-1.2.2

I tried both through

     wine explorer

and directly cd'ing to the directory and doing wine ./setup.exe