[Wine] Re: how to install the 1 Witcher?

crazy_dave wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 24 07:03:43 CDT 2011

I believe once you have upgraded to patch 1.5 there is no need to register the game anymore (the GOG.com version is at patch 1.5 and you don't need to register it). That said you should be able to use the internet to do so anyway if you want to. Maybe the problem is that you don't have gecko in your Wine install? I've heard tell that if you don't include it The Witcher 1 game launcher doesn't work quite right - maybe that's what is generating the internet error? Honestly I'm not sure though you don't need to run the game launcher. Once instaled and patched, you can run the Witcher executable itself which is in "the Witcher's folder/System/witcher.exe".

However, SpawnHappyJake is right, you should go to the AppDB page for the Witcher and follow the instructions to install the game (the main thing is to use winetricks to download native direct x 9 dll's). So do indeed go to the AppDB page and hopefully that will clear up some of your issues.