[Wine] Gaming

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 09:09:11 CDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:09 AM, IXSH0CKW4VEIX
<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I was considering using Linux, but i'm a gamer, is linux alright for gaming, like when
> battlefield 3, Elder scrolls V or MW3 or Rage come out will I be able to play the games at the
> same settings as on windows, I don't know much about linux.

You will not be able to 'stay at the same settings' as Windows with
Wine/Linux.  The reason is that every video call has to be translated
from a DirectX call to an OpenGL call.  Games that natively support
OpenGL actually run better on Wine/Linux in most cases because this
translation does not occur and an OpenGL to DirectX call does not.

You are always welcome to persue reading ratings in the Applications
Database for your favorite games/programs to discover what does or
does not work and what settings users had to use to get the game to
function and run well.

For now, if you want Windows performance, then you are forced to use Windows.