[Wine] question on Wine using multiple CPUs

cnbiz850 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jun 28 20:29:43 CDT 2011

An app I run has a feature to allow the user to choose how many CPU's to use to run an optimisation procedure.  My system has 8 cores.  It can dual boot to Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10 64bits.  Running the app under Windows 7 and choosing 8 CPU's for optimisation, the speed is greatly improved over using just 1 CPU.  But when I use Wine (1.3.23) on Ubuntu and choose 8 CPU's, it seems even much slower than using 1 CPU.  There seems to be some bottleneck (possibly due to locks for synchronisation) somewhere.  This is evidenced by how the optimisation step number is reported.  Instead of seeing a nearly continuous step number running through (like when using 1 CPU), I noticed with multiple CPU's, the step number jumps by the number of CPU's each time it changes after a pause in between.

How is the status of Wine handling multiple CPU's at the moment?  Is the phenomenon I see a known issue of Wine in general?  Or is it a specific issue of my app running with Wine?