[Wine] DVDSubEdit 1.51

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Jun 30 16:36:26 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 14:51 -0500, paolocchio wrote:
> Dear Martin,
> I've followed your instructions creating the following script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> f1=$(echo "$*" | tr '\\' '/')
> echo "gimpwrapper: $f1"
> gimp $f1
>
> Then I've given the commands:
>
> utente at utente-desktop:~$ sudo cp /home/utente/Scrivania/gimpwrapper /usr/local/bin
> utente at utente-desktop:~$ sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/gimpwrapper
> utente at utente-desktop:~$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Programmi
> utente at utente-desktop:~/.wine/drive_c/Programmi$ wine DVDSubEdit.exe
> fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0x4889ac
> fixme:bitblt:client_side_dib_copy potential optimization: client-side color-index mode DIB copy
> err:richedit:CharAttr unknown font 3
> err:richedit:CharAttr unknown font 3
> err:richedit:CharAttr unknown font 3
> err:richedit:CharAttr unknown font 3
> err:richedit:CharAttr unknown font 3
>
> The error messages are given when I open a VOB file and select 'Edit subpic bitmap with external tool'.
> 'Gimp' gives the message:
>
> Opening of "/usr/local/bin/C:/users/utente/Temp/tempbitmap.bmp" has failed: Cannot open '/usr/local/bin/C:/users/utente/Temp/tempbitmap.bmp' in read mode: non existing file or directory
>
> In DVDSubEdit preferences the tool path is:
> Z:\usr\local\bin\gimpwrapper

As I'd sort of suspected, its somehow managing to run gimp directly
without going through gimpwrapper. The immediate simple test to prove
that is what's happening is to simply rename gimpwrapper to, say,
gimpwrapper.tmp and rerun the program without making any other changes.
My guess is that nothing will change, showing that gimpwrapper is never
being called.

At this point you get to rename gimpwrapper.tmp back to gimpwrapper and
then scan through DVDSubEdit's .ini files and Wine's registry entries in
that prefix to find the reference to gimp and change it to reference
gimpwrapper.

Martin