[Wine] Trying to run RIFT on OS X 10.6 and Having DirectX Issues

Alanbly wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 20 21:53:35 CDT 2011

I've been working for a few hours to get RIFT running on my Mac Pro. I really don't want to have to get a full windows license to play the game so it seemed like a good alternative.

So I pulled wine via macports (I did this today so I got wine-1.2.2). Then downloaded the game and got it patched (my wife has a Windows machine and a Rift account). This is where progress stopped. I find that if I run the executable via the command below it results in the error shown:

Code:
$ /opt/local/bin/wine '/Applications/RIFT.app/Contents/Resources/RIFT Game/rift.exe'
err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\Applications\\RIFT.app\\Contents\\Resources\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\Applications\\RIFT.app\\Contents\\Resources\\RIFT Game\\rift.exe" failed, status c0000135

So I went looking and while I have several d3dx9_*.dll files up to 42 but not 43. Is this because I should be using the "devel" version of wine? I've read that some people claim to have used winetricks to fix directx issues but I also saw someone's thread get summarily executed for using the program. So this is as far as I've gone. Any input on what I should do here?