[Wine] Alsa: underrun occured

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Sun May 1 19:31:58 CDT 2011

Hey ryan,

http://www.opensound.com/

> Then check out OSS4.  It combines the a
> lower-level/low-latency/direct-access portions of ALSA (driver based) with
> the scheduling/sampling/mixing/per-application high-level interface of sound
> servers like PulseAudio - all *without* the overhead of a userspace sound
> server.  The OSS 3+ API is also a supported sound system on the BSDs and
> Solaris which allows for Wine portability.  Again, OSS is certainly not
> dead; OSS4 supports most modern sound hardware and exposes their features
> without the need for janky, problematic sound servers.  Using OSS4 on a
> modern distribution and killing PulseAudio allows modern hardware to work
> with Wine on Linux.  PulseAudio simply doesn't work sometimes.
>
> Once nicety (and problem) with PulseAudio is that applications support OSS
> or ALSA don't need to be rewritten or even recompiled.  ALSA or older OSS3
> applications simply make calls to their respective sound systems, which are
> caught by PA then sent back to ALSA-backed hardware.  That layer of
> abstraction, particularly for the ALSA-PulseAudio-ALSA calls, adds overhead
> and latency.  This is probably acceptable with most desktop applications
> like browsers or simple sound and video players, but kills sound performance
> where it counts, namely in Wine while attempting to run resource-intensive
> applications like games and professional sound apps.
>
> A low-latency sound server like JACK (including ASIO applications in Wine)
> sitting directly on top of ALSA/OSS is much more desirable than PulseAudio
> support.  This has all been debated before; until PulseAudio provides a
> low-latency server and/or allows a *reliable* way (pasuspender not included)
> to pass calls directly through to hardware, it's just not a viable option
> for Wine. -r

Oh, i am familiar with OSS and their website.

In my own experience Jack/OSS isn't as desirable as jack/ALSA. I haven't
used OSS lately in Linux, last time i did, it wasn't a glitch free
experience... but i did have FreeBSD8.1 running with Jackd, semi recently.
it didn't perform nearly as well as under linux ( even with the BSD kernel
tuned up) I heavily use jackd in my studio on several machines. OSS is
mainly a Unix thing these days. Not so much Linux. People use it
occasionally when they need to hack something to work(usually a legacy app),
but beyond that, OSS lost out to ALSA along time ago. Not to many apps
written in Gnu/Linux for OSS these days...in particular not for OSS4 - it
won't ever be adopted.

I also did state that i "jumped the gun on saying it is dead" and pointed
out Unix - but it certainly will never become the defacto standard in Linux.
that's not going to change.

Of course, PA isn't a viable option for wine, getting good glitch-free sound
is important - something that PA can't provide. Pa doesn't provide good
sound in VMware either. I actually just removed PA from Gnome3 today (which
just came through as an update in Archlinux).  I had to do it for the same
reasons you mention above - I use wineASIO with Jack, and also FST too.  i
despise PA and have to remove it on any fresh install of Linux.

happy times.

jordan