[Wine] Re: Caution when deleting .wine ...

topher.becca wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 2 03:16:26 CDT 2011

David Shaw wrote:

> At the risk of getting flamed, you yourself have often told people to
> 'rm -rf ~/.wine'  :-)
>
> David Shaw

When I entered 'rm -rf ~/.wine' it says:
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Inbox Toolbar: Permission denied
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/Program Files: Directory not empty
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu/Programs/Inbox Toolbar: Permission denied
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu/Programs: Directory not empty
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users/Start Menu: Directory not empty
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/All Users: Directory not empty
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles: Directory not empty
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c/windows: Directory not empty
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine/drive_c: Directory not empty
rm: /Users/christopherwelch/.wine: Directory not empty

What does this mean? I am opening Wine's 'File Manager', go to the 'Shell' tab, scroll down to 'Trash' (with the icon of a trash can beside it), and click it, it shows everything I had installed (such as games) and pressed delete. Is there a way to delete these files? I can empty the trash like I could on Windows, or on a Mac. I just right click and click empty. In Wine, I pull up this Trash folder, and all of the files are there. When I right click the Trash folder, it lists delete, but I don't want to delete it, in case it messes it up.