[Wine] Switching to 16-bit colour depth (from 24) - is it possible?

Wintershade wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue May 3 03:48:41 CDT 2011

Hello. I'm having a bit of trouble running some old games, like Planescape Torment (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=22660&iTestingId=61130) (the GOG.com version). When I try to start the game, it complains about the desktop bit depth (I have 24 as default, and it requires 16-bit).

The game suggests I should either run it in fullscreen (which I am), or to switch to 16-bit colour depth (which is quite an inconvenience if I have to edit xorg.conf and restart X every time I want to play the game, and then edit xorg.conf back, and restart X again)

Is it possible to use (or emulate?) 16-bit colours inside, e.g. a WINE virtual desktop? Or to use some opengl extension which would provide this effect?

Thanks in advance :)