[Wine] Wine integration in Ubuntu 11.04

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:33:56 CDT 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 17:45, Tootler <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
>>
>> Alternatively Ubuntu Classic (gnome) in natty would probably work
>> (also it seems to me it's just the same version as maverick, sans
>> applets, so I'll stick with 10.04 for the time being).
>

> 10.04 netbook edition uses Xfce desktop. Presumably unity in 10.10 was a replacement for that as I did not notice an option to use classic Gnome - presumably because classic Gnome requires more resources and many netbooks use fairly small solid state "hard disks" and limited RAM.

I seriously doubt classic Gnome (i.e. 2.32) uses more resources than
3D unity... it's basically the same as the version found in Maverick,
with some minor updates.

>Mine actually has a 100 GB hard drive and 1GB RAM so would probably be OK with standard Gnome. Maybe I could have tried 10.04 desktop edition. However, I don't really feel like spending another half day setting everything up again just now so I will live with 10.04 netbook edition for now.

Well, after some checking, it's named "Ubuntu classic" and not "Gnome classic".
Note however that natty ships 2.6.38 which suffers power usage
regression, and won't be fixed in 2.6.39 (merge window is closed
already).
So you'd have to use 2.6.35 (maybe using the kernel from Maverick) or
wait for 2.6.40 for another month or two to get a similar battery life
as in Maverick.

Frédéric