[Wine] WoW Launcher.exe crashs

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Fri May 6 09:15:49 CDT 2011

On 05/06/2011 05:17 AM, aSynchro wrote:
> (Just a thought: Launcher.exe is started automaticaly when WoW needs an update, if there's a way to update it without Launcher.exe, that would fix my problem...)

The only way I know to patch without the launcher is to redo the entire
download through your account at battlenet, and that only works if they
have updated the file there to include the newest patch so it's usually
safest to wait a few days from the patch landing. We used to be able to
grab the individual patch folders from a windows box and drop them into
our wow folder in wine, but I do not think that has been an option since
they switched to the combination background downloader and launcher.

Is there maybe something else about your system that is keeping the
launcher from working? I have been using it for both patching and game
launching and it's working fine, do you get any error messages we can
try to help you clear up so the launcher works?

If the info helps I'm using Wine 1.3.17 installed through distro
repositories (OpenSuse 11.4, 32 bit); Nvidia driver 256.53 (cannot use
newer due to kde/driver issue); Nvidia GTX 460; no winetricks, patches,
or registry tweeks.