[Wine] Re: WineLib some questions...

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue May 10 08:56:46 CDT 2011

James_Huk wrote:
> Hmmm... but wouldn't that: create an executable "main"

No, it won't. Winelib can only be a shared library not an executable. So this code won't compile.

http://wiki.winehq.org/OtherPlatforms

James_Huk wrote:
> if I understand correctly how wine translates D3D to OpenGL

Correct. Don't forget we are talking about API level translation here.

James_Huk wrote:
> Hence the idea to use winelib to "translate" shader program during compilation so that even though program would still be using wine, it wouldn't need to do the costly HLSL to GLSL translation.

Winelib does not translate any program's data. Ans shares are just that - files or resources which are loaded only during runtime and mostly when needed.

James_Huk wrote:
> Wouldn't that be possible (even theoretically)?

Yes, oiaohm pointed you to one possible solution which has nothing to do with Wine itself.

James_Huk wrote:
> Wouldn't it be possible to use some kind of cache for shader programs, so that we would need to translate it once, and then use that -already translated program, instead of re-translating it every call?

That is how Wine works now. The trick is, sometimes these shader programs do need to be recompiled if their parameters, or use changes. These changes might be "free" on D3D but not with OpenGL, requiring recompile.