[Wine] Excel 2007 Data Source Connection problem

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu May 12 06:40:22 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 02:04 -0500, Rubilac wrote:
> [quote]Have you installed ODBC drivers for it? [/quote]
>
> I installed something called JDBC.

JDBC is not ODBC. JDBC is only useful for programs written in Java.

>  I'm not sure if this changes anything.

Look here: http://www.microsoft.com/data/odbc/

More info here too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity
http://www.datadirect.com/
http://www.connectionstrings.com/

To make an ODBC connection you need to have:
- installed the ODBC core code (probably DLLs)
- the ODBC Data Services Manager
- installed the ODBC driver for your database
- configured a Data Source using the Data Services Manager

>  I also have openoffice data installed, but cannot connect to this
> database using the ODBC type connection there either.

Of course. See above, but OO will use native Linux ODBC while Wine apps
almost certainly need Windows ODBC.

Did you actually search for information about ODBC before posting here?
I suspect not.

Martin