[Wine] linux and wine noob needs help with installing SketchUp

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 13 11:40:21 CDT 2011

> Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 02:45:55 -0500
> From: "rlcgrn" <wineforum-user at winehq.org>
> Subject: [Wine]  linux and wine noob needs help with
> installing
>     SketchUp
> To: wine-users at winehq.org
>
> I have Ubuntu 10.04 and just installed WINE 1.2 (because
> it's stable version).
> I am installing SketchUp 8, and the installer asks what
> destination folder to install to.  It defaults to
>  "C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 8\"
> and won't let me change to the Linux format of
>  "home/user/Sketchup"
> that I think is correct.  What do I do?

it is installing in to /home/user/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 8/

>  The Wine
> FAQ states:
> "WARNING: Do not try to configure Wine to point to your
> actual Windows C:\ drive. This will break Windows and
> require a Windows reinstall. We have tried to make this hard
> to do, so you probably cannot do it by accident. If you do
> manage this, Wine may or may not continue to operate, but
> your Windows install will be 100% dead due to critical parts
> of it being overwritten. The only way to fix Windows after
> this has happened is to reinstall it. "

the above is only if you have a REAL windows OS on another partition

--
tom_a_sparks "It's a nerdy thing I like to do"
Please use ISO approved file formats excluding Office Open XML - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html