[Wine] Re: Gaining performance by disabling functionality?

James_Huk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 13 17:14:00 CDT 2011

@lbm:

Once, I was experimenting with wine code that way. Unfortunately the performance gain was minimal at best, although I think that IF you would be willing to dig in the code for long enough, you could gain some speed, however keep in mind that disabling functions in wined3d will usually either cause major display artifacts or cause game to crash immediately.

I think that MUCH more could be gained by creating game specific hacks - but that would be impractical.

Some performance gain can be achieved by compiling wine with the "O3" option - although this will crash most normal apps, d3d doesn't seem to be affected, and it works a bit faster (I gained about 5-15% depending on game).

But that's about it :/

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a good way out of this situation - I can tell You that for games D3D to OpenGL translations are responsible for 95% of performance looses (this can be easily tested with games that have both D3D and OpenGL engines, just switch from OpenGL to D3D and there will (usually) be a HUGE drop in performance) and until game developers start using OpenGL in their engines, this is not gonna change :/

There is however a glimmer of hope - specifically: Apple's Mac computers, they are getting more popular every year and MacOS doesn't support D3D neither, so all games for it, has to use OpenGL, and there is high degree of probability, that more and more games will be using "dual engine", as it once was when 3DFX Glide API (anyone remember those :) ? ) was around.

At least we can hope so ;]