[Wine] Re: Unable to open executable with Program Loader since upgrade

dusf wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue May 17 12:04:11 CDT 2011

[quote="jjmckenzie"]On 5/11/11 4:04 PM, dusf wrote:

> EDIT: when I chmod +x on the file on my home partition I can open it, but when I try the same on my media partition it does not help at all.

It appears that you are trying to run programs from CD/DVD/USB media.
These normally do NOT have the execute bit set but are mounted read-only.

> Can I make it so it will work on any partition, and can I make it so I do not need to manually chmod +x every time?

You will need to modify, as per cloudef's instructions, the fstab file
so that cdrom media open with the execute bit set for your user.  Google
is your friend or ask on your distribution's forums.[quote]

Firstly, sorry for the late reply, I have been unable to access the Internet.

I am not trying to run programs from CD/DVD/USB media, only from my ext4 /home partition AND from another NTFS partition used for storage on the same SATA hard disk drive. Do I still need to do something with fstab, and why was this never necessary before?

To reiterate, for a long time I have used WINE on Ubuntu with relatively few problems up as far as my upgrade to 11.04 of last week or so when I decided I wanted instead to try Xubuntu 11.04.

To test WINE was working okay on the new install I quickly downloaded mIRC, a lightweight program with an installer I never intended to use for anything other than testing purposes. Whether I download the setup.exe to /home or /media/DUMP/ (hard disk drive - separate partition - same hard disk as /home), I receive the same error.

chmod +x on the /home/Downloads/setup.exe does allow me to open the file normally, but doing so when downloaded to /media/DUMP/Downloads/setup.exe does not.

I have since tried other Windows problems and received the same error.

I never had any similar problems in the past, so I know this is not supposed to happen and should and does not happen for most.

How can I make the problem not only stop on /media/DUMP/ partition, but also on /home, because I do not see having to chmod +x every single Windows program I download as a fix, and it is not something I had to do before.

If relevant on installing Xubuntu 11.04 I formatted the home partition and used the same username, but chose a different computer name. I also using wine from your repos.

For some reason when installing Windows software Xubuntu is not populating the nice Main menu >> Wine >> Programs menu as it did before so I am going to reinstall.

Please advise.