[Wine] Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidia-173, nvidia-current, nouveau

dusf wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu May 19 05:42:07 CDT 2011

Since upgrading from Ubuntu 10.10 I have had problems with graphics. The problems started after I initially upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 but then installed xubuntu-desktop over it, but I have had the same problem all my fresh installs of Xubuntu 11.04 too.

FPS previously averaging about 30 or 35 FPS while playing an OpenGL game with WINE now starts at 20 FPS for 2 or 3 minutes and then slows down to 2-5 FPS.

Unfortunately Applications Menu >> System >> Additional Drivers or jockey shows:

> The driver is activated but not currently in use.

Restart and/or switching to the other driver, and/or back, and/or restarting does nothing.

Code:
dusf at banshee:~$ lspci -k
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] (rev a1)
   Subsystem: Dell Device 0405
   Kernel driver in use: nvidia
   Kernel modules: nvidia-current, nvidia-173, nouveau, nvidiafb

Although now Kernel modules also includes 'nvidia' after my attempts to fix the problem which I shall get on to.

I was advised on the WINE HQ forums:

> You are using both the proprietary and FOSS drivers. Remove the FOSS
> drivers (nouveau) and use only the nVidia supplied drivers.
I used *synaptic to uninstall xserver-xorg-video-nouveau as there is no package which is just 'nouveau'.

Edited a line in /etc/default/grub to:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset rdblacklist=nouveau"

Then:

Code:
sudo update-grub

On rebooting none of these measures made any difference to FPS performance, or the kernel modules listed in lspci -k.

Further following advice from the WINE HQ forums I executed:

Code:
sudo modprobe -r nouveau

but the above also made no difference to FPS performance, or the kernel modules listed in lspci -k.

I tried another fresh install of Xubuntu 11.04, formatting /home and /boot partition (if relevant), and as advised from #Xubuntu on freenode I installed all updates before going near jockey or Applications Menu >> System >> Additional Drivers but nothing had changed from there or the output of lspci -k.

On further advice last night from #Xubuntu I *executed:

Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

And then added the following lines to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:

Code:
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

I saved the file, and then rebooted into recovery mode to bring up a tty without x running where I had to chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-270.41.06.run before installing which warned me there was a problem with the preconfigured distribution script but installed anyway.

On logging in lspci -k now outputs

Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 0405
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidia, nvidia-173, nvidia-current, nouveau, nvidiafb

...which includes the additional nvidia module but jockey still is the same and I just confirmed my FPS will still start at 20 FPS and drop to 2-5 FPS shortly after starting an OpenGL game with WINE.

dusf at banshee:~$ jockey-text -l
xorg:nvidia_173 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (Proprietary, Disabled, Not in use)
xorg:nvidia_current - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (Proprietary, Enabled, Not in use)

etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection

My post is #21 on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/726496 although I'm not sure it's the exact same bug, as I seem to have two of the different problems mentioned, and then some.

Where do I go from here? I want to keep trying to fix this problem, but I will downgrade to Xubuntu 10.10 if absolutely necessary.