[Wine] Re: Problem with The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Mateusz Stachowski wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 23 15:48:29 CDT 2011

I've made some progress on running the game (well it still doesn't work). I'm able to run the Launcher.exe and witcher2.exe (the game is registered) all this thanks to the Jake Thomas who posted this how to:

  http://pastebin.com/3zq1r9pF

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=61512#61512

I've installed the game in VirtualBox Windows 7 Evaluation machine (you need a filesystem that can handle files larger than 16 GB to do that) and then I've made the first snapshot with WhatChanged. Than I activated the game and made second snapshot of files and registry settings (WhatChanged reports only new files not those that were changed). Last step is to copy those files to your wineprefix and you should export relevant registry settings and then of course import it with wine regedit.

Now I don't have to bother anymore with SecuROM but I've still didn't manage to get into game. I mean Launcher.exe works (well sort of, sometimes I can launch game with it and sometimes not and there are a connection problems) but when I try to run witcher2.exe it throws this:

http://pastebin.com/hVtHFRvY

I have installed with winetricks vcrun2005 vcrun2008 and vcrun2010 (that's only changes made to this wineprefix so far).

In my earlier attempt to get it working I also installed d3dx9_36 and d3dx9_39 and then d3dx9 it seems that the last one worked for DL atleast that's what he mentions in his test data. Maybe the GOG installer made some other changes that didn't occur in my installation.