[Wine] Weird problem with WINE

Anna Wiggins annabunches at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:02:53 CDT 2011

On 05/24/2011 02:06 AM, Stray wrote:
> I'm having a weird problem with WINE. I've tried the latest version from here, the latest version in the Ubuntu repositories. I'm using Kubuntu 11.04 x86_64. I'm running AMD Phenom II x4 @ 2.5 GHz, 6 GB of RAM, ATi Radeon x1950 PRO with 512 MB vRAM. Don't know which display drivers I'm using, its whatever I'm working with. I can play any game with no problems...except for WINE. Here is my problem:
>
> I install a game, no problem. Go to play a game, and it's not taking any input from the keyboard. I'll hit escape to skip the intro scene, and it does nothing. I'll get in-game, hit escape to bring up the menu, and get nothing. I'll even hit keys to bring up a specific menu (like in Command and Conquer 3, the O would bring up the objective menus). It's only in games that this happens. I can open up Notepad, and be able to type. It'll take all the keys I put in with no problem. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall, but get nothing. I've tried with no virtual desktop and with virtual desktop with no change.
>
> Help me fix my problem, I want to play my games (and I don't want to go back to Windows!)

Do you happen to have an input method editor like SCIM or ibus running?
I've found that certain applications (depending on what input libraries
they use) don't interact well with ibus and similar systems. Notably,
Direct3D apps seem to have problems while programs just using the normal
GUI APIs (i.e., notepad) do not.

If you're not sure about whether you have ibus running, it is used to
allow you to input characters from other languages (Japanese, korean,
cyrillic) using a latin alphabet-based keyboard. If you have anything
like that set up, you might be hitting this problem.

- Anna