[Wine] Re: Include X11 on Mac

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed May 25 15:19:48 CDT 2011

fedorawins wrote:
> Thank you, is that Apple's C language? I see a lot of C mixed with something other.
>
> But basically, without rewriting anything, can I compile Wine and use it with the X11 lib that was installed into /opt/X11 or do I miss something?
>
> Would be great if you could tell me what you did (at a high level) to combine Wine with unmodified XQuartz and how you set the PATH to use the correct libs.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> fedorawins aka James

Its Objective C, so there is some C code in there for things that work better that way, though most of it is all ObjC/Cocoa.

If Wine starts up it will launch Mac OS X default X11... so you need to manually have it launch the X11 you want, then only start up Wine in that X11...

There are 2 methods/functions to look at in Wineskin.m to see how Wineskin starts up.
- (NSString *)startX11;
- (NSString *)startWine;
if you know ObjC code you should be able to figure out how its starting up X11 and how its starting up Wine.  The "WineskinX11" program its calling in normal Xquartz.app is the actual "X11.bin" file in its MacOS folder.  You basically start up X11 under a certain $DISPLAY setting, and then when you start up Wine, make sure its set for the same $DISPLAY value.  Just remember that Xquartz runs partially from /opt/X11 and also the actual Xquartz.app.

The problems to how all the dylibs and executables are linked to look for the others... thats where using otool on them to see what they are, and install_name_tool to modify them is all about.  Wine itself is the easiest part of all this.