[Wine] How to kill a running wine application

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Thu May 26 01:27:22 CDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 07:58, drazone <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Question: How to kill a Windows application that runs with wine?
>
> I have installed new stable version of wine for Debian. Then the Windows application starts OK but hangs for some reason (its the application logic fault). However I can't see any way to close the application window or to kill the application. I tried as in documentation:
>
> # wineserver -k
> bash: wineserver: command not found

Check the installed package files (e.g. "dpkg -S wineserver")
Check your PATH (maybe it was installed in /usr/local/bin or similar;
normally it should be in the same place as the wine binary)
If locate is installed, try 'updatedb' then 'locate wineserver'.

> I also checked:
> # ls -l /usr/bin/wineserver
> ls: cannot access /usr/bin/wineserver: No such file or directory
> #which wineserver
> #
>
> However, the process is running:
> ps -A | grep wine
>  2232 ?        00:00:04 wineserver
>  2250 ?        00:00:00 winedevice.exe
>
> This time I did:
> # kill -9 2232
>
> But it left messed remains of the application window graphics and I think this is not the way to go
Kill winedevice.exe as well

>: I'd like wine to kill one of its applications and not kill the whole wineserver.
>
> So, how to do it?

You can try "wine taskmgr" (doesn't seem to work for me, though)

Alternatively, use different wineprefixes