[Wine] Re: dll errors on program dlls--works on same distro, machine

jhthayer wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 27 15:33:22 CDT 2011

For anyone interested in this thread--this problem has a couple of points:
1.  UNINSTALLING:  Beware of which installer one uses, be sure to use the same one for uninstalling.  Sometimes, the uninstall key doesn't have the correct command--that was the case with Phierha--see the MsiExec documentation, which is not precisely followed by the WINE version.  The install flag, /I, and the uninstall flag, /X, are followed, but not the others.  You may need to use the wineconsole command to execute it, and be sure to quote the flag and the GUID separately.  Programs that explicitly provide uninstall commands usually work sufficiently well.  Those that don't must either be hand weeded out of the registry, or use an uninstaller (I have used TUn with good results); excess registry garbage can foul up a reinstall very easily.

2.  INSTALLATION ORDER:  I found all of the Windows programs to be fairly sensitive to which application was installed last.  In this case, the errors were only eliminated by installing the three PDF viewers and two image viewers first, then another four graphics programs, and finally, Phierha.  Pixia I found to follow the same pattern.   This way, they all work, at least so far.