[Wine] Starcraft 2 slow on GTX 460?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sat May 28 19:03:28 CDT 2011

On 5/28/11, LinuxUser <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Thunderbird wrote:
>> In general you need both an adequate CPU and GPU. Depending on the game
>> engine, either one of the two is more important. Typically either the game
>> is CPU limited or GPU limited. If it is mostly CPU limited, it barely
>> matters what resolution you use (you will notice a roughly constant
>> framerate).
>>
>> StarCraft II for instance is quite CPU intensive due to its AI (it may
>> have to render hundreds of units). Shooters and other games tend to depend
>> more on a fast GPU. Frequently in case of Wine we see that display drivers
>> can also be holding back games a lot (a lot of time tends to be spent
>> inside drivers) holding back the GPU.
>

> Like I said above, in windows I'm getting 35-45+ in the menu and in WINE I'm
> getting 10-11 in the same menu. I'm getting like 30-35+ on the first mission
> in SCII campaign and I'm getting >10 in WINE. It's clear this is a WINE
> issue not my hardware.

It COULD be your hardware.  The difference between Windows and Linux
drivers and their completeness can explain a lot. Also Windows uses
DirectX, Linux, for many reasons, does and cannot. Thus, there are
many conversions between DirectX and OpenGL.  This can and does cause
a difference.  Some programs that were written with OpenGL code in
them actually run BETTER in Wine than in Windows because Windows has
to do OpenGL -> DirectX conversions.

Also, having the latest/greatest hardware helps. Video card vendors
CANNOT support old video cards.  It is not financially viable to have
a team of developers working on hardware that no longer occupies a
space on the sale shelf, no matter what WE want.  One of my Mac
systems made in 2008 with an AMD/ATI X1600 video card is not supported
by their Catalyst drivers.  That system WAS state of the art when it
was build and released.  Am I going to get rid of it, no.  I have to
be aware of the limitations of the card and work within them.  That is
why there are FOSS drivers and proprietary drivers for just about all
video cards, excepting those just recently released where the 'blob'
information is not available.

One thing I have noticed is that video has improved greatly with Wine
in the last three years.  When I started using it, Wine barely
supported some 2D games.  Now it supports the latest games and
productivity software.  It now supports .NET 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 from
Microsoft and much has been done to add in Mono.

Lastly, even in Windows, the faster your CPU and the more powerful
your GPU, the better the game play.  And for now, some games will be
hard to play, except at the lowest settings until much is done to
streamline and improve Wine's video code.  The more coordinated hands
on this part, the faster it will go.

James McKenzie