[Wine] Re: LiveZilla

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 29 14:16:12 CDT 2011

Hi KhalidAl,

     James McKenzie brings up an important point that "the first and most important step is confirming that LiveZilla works with Wine 1.1.39."
      He did NOT say that it was confirmed, he said that it needs TO BE confirmed.
     Let me recap what I've been doing in this thread. I saw that maybe the tips and tricks first mentioned weren't doing it for you (though now that I look back I'm not sure if you did them yet), and I also saw that Livezilla was not in the App DB (application database).
     So I Googled to see if anyone, anywhere knew how to get Livezilla to work in WINE. I also Googled to see if there were any alternatives to Livezilla that would work natively in your operating system. A native alternative is usually better than trying to get a program to work in WINE, but there isn't always an alternative, as is the case with computer games.
      I understand now that you can't have an alternative, and must have Livezilla. My first post in this thread had a link to a place on the Internet were I found a post by Batrams who said that he got Livezilla to work in WINE. I also posted links to and listed alternatives to Livezilla in my first post.
     I don't think that Batrams was lying. He probably did get Livezilla to work in WINE. We don't know exactly what kernel version he got it working in, but we know he got it working in Linux in WINE. We also know that he was using an older version of WINE... 1.1.39 at its oldest.
      Then you said that you couldn't have an alternative. You didn't say whether or not you tried Batram's instructions or not. I thought that maybe you didn't follow the link, so copy and pasted Batram's post here to make sure you'd see them.
      Then you say you can't uninstall Livezilla, and I say to nuke your WINE. You have to install all these parts in a certain order anyways, so you had to start over from a clean slate.
      Then you say "same error ferking verdana font Sad". I still don't know if you followed Batram's instructions exactly. Hoping that you did, I move on to the next logical conclusion: WINE used to work with Livezilla in an older WINE version, but the current WINE version does not. This is called a regression.
      Then James McKenzie brings up an important point that "the first and most important step is confirming that LiveZilla works with Wine 1.1.39."
      He didn't say that it was confirmed, he said that it needs to be confirmed.
      So first, please tell us if you followed Batrams's instructions exactly. To do them, you first need to nuke (completely clear, as in delete) your WINE. Then you follow his instructions. Probably uninstall and reinstall WINE as well, beforehand. The reason why you have to start clean is that the instructions are order-sensitive.
      Batrams specifically warned that if it isn't done it in the right order, it will complain about missing fonts. Now it's complaining about a missing font, Verdana. This makes me wonder if it was done out of order or if you did the instructions with some remnants left from before, and not starting clean.
     Have you tried both winetricks corefonts and winetricks allfonts ? If you haven't done Batram's instructions yet, don't do these until after you did. They are order-sensitive.
     I also don't know if you followed the other people's instructions of installing .net or mono via winetricks, either.
    So, first try Batram's instructions with the lastest WINE. If that doesn't work, try WINE 1.1.39, because Batrams said it worked on that version. As James McKenzie said, it is very important to find out whether or not it works in that version. That way, we can start trying later versions to find the last version that it works in, and report the regression.
    Before you try WINE 1.1.39, you have to nuke your WINE and start over. Delete the dot wine folder, and uninstall WINE. Then install WINE 1.1.39. Then follow Batrams's instructions again.
    I'm not promising that this will work, but I would think that it would. Hopefully compatibility wasn't lost with a newer Linux kernel.
   I'm assuming you're trying to get Livezilla to work in WINE in Linux? What verison of Linux? What kernel version? 32 bit or 64 bit?

I don't mean to sound condescending, but we need to know what you're doing. Clarification is key.   :D

Cheers,
Jake