[Wine] CrossOver license

Josh Juran josh at iswifter.net
Tue Nov 1 15:13:34 CDT 2011

On Nov 1, 2011, at 1:07 PM, kevpatts wrote:

> I have a question about CrossOver and the LGPL license. I'm looking into licensing some software of my own and I'm not sure if I can.
> From what I've read the LGPL license doesn't allow any product to be sold if it's based on LGPL protected software, unless it uses the software simply as a plug-in: 
>> A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the scope of this License.
> CrossOver clearly is a modification of Wine and uses ongoing code updates. How therefore can they sell it?
> The reason I ask is that the software I have written is similarly based on an LGPL base and I'm wondering if I can sell mine.

If you distribute a work that uses an LGPL-licensed library, then you must redistribute (under the LGPL) any changes you made to the library.



More information about the wine-users mailing list