[Wine] CrossOver license

Josh Juran josh at iswifter.net
Tue Nov 1 19:33:13 CDT 2011

On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:06 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 18:17 -0500, kevpatts wrote:
>
>> I'm talking about charging for software built on top
>> of LGPL platforms
>
> I don't see what's wrong with that.
>
> Fact is, if you want to get some return from your efforts, there are
> only two practical ways:
>
> 1) sell the software, in which case it obviously can't be under the GPL
>  though if you have written any generally useful libraries as part of
>  the project, you might put them under the LGPL.

There's no reason you can't sell a program which you also distribute under the GPL (provided you have buyers).  It probably won't work well with a Linux game (whose users I would expect to be less interested in paying and technically adept enough to build from source, assuming their distro hasn't already packaged it), but may work just fine for mobile apps.  Perhaps you or I might download the source to Todo.txt Touch, build, and install, but most people will just pay the $2.

Josh