[Wine] Re: No sound in World of Warcraft - intermittant.

JontomXire wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Nov 20 07:02:35 CST 2011

Very well explained, thanks.

I learn something new from every one of your posts.

Also, we've found that running WoW under Windows 7 is not without its own problems. The screen size/resolution  keeps self-adjusting to something pointless - display only - mouseclicks map to the original resolution. It's easily fixed by jumping to Windows then going back to WoW, but could easily cause raid wipes, so...

I'm feeling quite depressed by this whole saga. I'm considering getting an NVIDIA GT440 graphics card (which supports DirectX 11) and is relatively cheap. The cheapest GTX card I can get is the one I bought two of for my other PC and costs more than twice as much. Costs are:

NVIDIA GT 440 - £43
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti - £105

That's shopping at the site I get all my computer stuff at. I may be able to find a different GTX model for cheaper somewhere if I look around hard enough.

A WoW friend I spoke to on Vent last night, who says she "isn't an expert but knows more about hardware than most people" says that my box with all new components bar graphics cards is likely to wreck the system. She claims the stress on the other components of trying to run at their usual speed when held back by slow graphics cards is likely to cause them to break down. She used the analogy of a football team with 10 good players and one slacker and how the 10 good players get worn out trying to compensate for the slacker. I don't buy it myself. The bus regulates traffic speeds. The interrupts handle interactions. Voltages are all egulated by the power supply. I just don't get it. Anyway she recommended replacing the graphics card with a newer model immediately before my system melts down. I think I have lifetime guarantees on the RAM and maybe the CPU too, so I'm not too worried.

Anyway, if I do get a new graphics card, I would appreciate your opinion on what is likely to give me as good performance on Linux as on Windows, decent performance too, at a budget price.

I think I prefer NVIDIA, possibly ASUS. I've had good results from them in the past.