[Wine] Installation media has incorrect file names

skelband wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Nov 22 13:55:25 CST 2011

I have Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse for my daughter and I tried to install using Wine.

Installation fails because some of the files have different names on the installation media from that sought by the installer.

Here are two examples:

Click_AfterThreeBells_02_SFX.HIS which is actually click_afterthreebells_02_s.his on the media.
AxInterop.SHDocVw.dll which is actually axinteropshdocvw.dll on the media.

The first example could be a plain truncation issue. The second one is a bit weirder though. The difference is a dot in the middle of the filename.

Actual messages are:

err:msi:ACTION_InstallFiles Failed to copy L"Z:\\home\\ralph\\Desktop\\CAP\\Files\\Game\\Sound\\Click_AfterThreeBells_02_SFX.HIS" to L"C:\\Program Files\\Nancy Drew\\The Captive Curse\\Sound\\Click_AfterThreeBells_02_SFX.HIS" (2)
err:msi:ACTION_InstallFiles Failed to copy L"D:\\Files\\NDCentral\\AxInterop.SHDocVw.dll" to L"C:\\Program Files\\Nancy Drew\\Nancy Drew Central\\AxInterop.SHDocVw.dll" (2)

You can get installation to progress further by fixing the issues in a writeable copy. Clearly the installer is processing the names in some fashion or is somewhat tolerant of some differences. Alternatively, perhaps the CD names are being misinterpreted by Linux?

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before? If not, I will add an issue.