[Wine] Wine on Tiger

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon Oct 3 00:21:01 CDT 2011

On Oct 2, 2011, at 10:49 PM, mrivera wrote:

> When I try to run the install its saying this..
>

> michael-riveras-computer:~/desktop michaelrivera$ cd "wine-1.3.29"
> michael-riveras-computer:~/desktop/wine-1.3.29 michaelrivera$ ./tools/wineinstall
> Wine Installer v1.0
>
> You are running wineinstall as root, this is not advisable. Please rerun as a user.
> Aborting.
> michael-riveras-computer:~/desktop/wine-1.3.29 michaelrivera$
>
> I went into the Netinfo Manager, disabled the root user and it still didn't work. My account is the only one on this computer, and I am the admin. Don't know what's going on.
I do. I'll bet if you ran ls -ld on /, you'd get this back:

drwxrwxrwx ## root admin #### Mmm dd hh:mm /

The 'd' means that it's a directory, and the groups of 'rwx' tell you that the owner (root), owning group (admin), and everyone else (known as 'others' or 'the world' in Unix jargon), in that order, can Read the directory's contents, add files ("Write" to the directory), and cd into the directory and/or use any files/directories inside ("eXecute"; it has a different meaning for files). (The '#'s are random numbers. 'Mmm dd hh:mm' is the last changed date.) For some crazy reason, / is world writable by default on a Mac.

What's this got to do with wineinstall? Simple: that's how it 'knows' you're running as root.

You can fix this like so:

sudo chmod go-w /

Now ls -ld / should look like:

drwxr-xr-x ## root admin #### Mmm dd hh:mm /

The dashes where there were once 'w's tell you that the owning group (admin) and the rest of the world can no longer write (i.e. add files) to /.

This is, in fact, the first thing I do whenever I get a new Mac.

> Thanks for your help and the quick replies Charles.
No problem.