[Wine] Self compiled wine does not find CD-Rom

Christoph Korn c_korn at gmx.de
Mon Oct 3 06:33:47 CDT 2011

Hello,

there seems to be an odd behaviour regarding the CD-Rom drives in wine
depending on whether you run a precompiled version (in my case a Debian
package) or compile wine for yourself (same version).

Background is that there seems to be a regression in wine which I wanted to
debug. The regression is in a game which checks for the CD first and then
shows an intro and a menu (which has graphic issues now because of the
regression) when the CD is found or no menu and another menu (which does not
have graphic issues) when the CD is not found.

So in short:
CD found?
yes: show intro videos and menu (which has issues)
no: show no intro videos and a different menu (which does not have issues).

I have wine 1.3.29 installed from the official PPA [1] on my Ubuntu 11.04
machine (amd64).
To do regression testing I also have a git tree here where I also compiled
version 1.3.29 (I did a "git checkout wine-1.3.29" before because this is the
latest version and there have already been patches applied).
The exact build command I used is this:
CFLAGS="-g -O0" ./configure --verbose --disable-tests && make depend && make -j4

The point now is when I run the game with this compiled wine version the game
does not find the CD and shows the menu which does not have issues instead.
It is also odd that there was the message that the wine prefix gets updated
when I first launched the game with my compiled wine version. I thought this
was only necessary when I used a different wine version now than the version
the wine prefix was created with. So I ensured that my installed wine and the
self compiled wine really have the same version which is the case obviously:
korn at pc:~/wineprefixes/comanche_3/drive_c/C$ ~/wineprefixes/wine/wine/wine
--version
wine-1.3.29
korn at pc:~/wineprefixes/comanche_3/drive_c/C$ wine --version
wine-1.3.29

It is really odd and I cannot do regression testing this way of course.

This is the dosdevices directory in this wine prefix:
korn at pc:~/wineprefixes/comanche_3/drive_c/C$ LANG=C ls -la ../../dosdevices/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 korn korn 4096 Oct  2 23:35 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 korn korn 4096 Oct  3 13:26 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 korn korn   10 Jul 29  2010 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 korn korn   13 Jul 29  2010 e: -> /media/cdrom0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 korn korn   43 Oct  2 21:28 e:: -> /home/korn/Games/Comanche
3/COMANCHEGLD.iso
lrwxrwxrwx 1 korn korn   10 Jul 29  2010 h: -> /home/korn
lrwxrwxrwx 1 korn korn    1 Jul 29  2010 z: -> /

I really do not understand this. Please help ;)

Kind regards
Christoph

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa