[Wine] Wine doesn't start - Something X-Related

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Oct 5 14:21:12 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 13:06 -0500, dramaturg76 wrote:
> Thanks for the hint, but the PC I use to connect is Windows =( I use
> Ubuntu only at home.
>
> The issue is, that after that Wine won't start if I run $wine -
> following error:

People have suggested it might be a VNC problem. If Wine is running it
correctly through the local screen & keyboard on the Linux box, try
running an X-server under Windows. Both paid-for:

Exceed    http://connectivity.opentext.com/products/exceed-products.aspx

and OSS:

Cygwin/X  http://x.cygwin.com
Xming     http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/
XWinLogon http://www.calcmaster.net/visual-c++/xwinlogon/

are available.

I've used Exceed, though quite a while ago, and haven't used any of the
others, but I can say that Cygwin is generally well regarded - at least
its tool kit for providing a Unix/Linux shell and programs on a Windows
box is. Think of Cygwin as Wine in reverse.

Martin