[Wine] No Longer Merely a Fair-Weather Fan - NYTimes.com

roberbdib3a wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Oct 18 19:02:38 CDT 2011

CHAPEL HILL, N.C.  I woke up to my alarm, put on my Juventus jersey, and headed downstairs to the living room Sunday morning. It wasn't a major championship, no one I knew personally was playing, but as I turned on Fox Soccer, I felt nervous in anticipation of the outcome.I've always been a fan, but never truly supported a team. I am a fan of the sport, of particular styles of play, of individual players, but as I watched my boyfriend agonize over Juve's failures last season and saw him celebrate their goals as if he had scored himself, I realized that maybe there's a part of this sport that I have yet to explore.I remember when I first started watching soccer with my dad. My coach at the time told us that it was helpful to watch games on TV, so of course, we made a point to do that whenever we could. We didn't know much, and this was before DVRs, so we watched whatever game was on.Over the years, I got to know all the major players, got a subscription to FourFourTwo magazine, and spent a lot of time (mostly during class) men coats (http://www.discountparkas.com) watching highlights. I used to memorize the names of the players on Man U because one of my youth coaches was a die-hard fan. I had a calendar of Real Madrid when Roberto Carlos and Zidane suited up for it. I have an old Arsenal uniform, an Inter hat and shirt (sorry Juventini, it was before I knew any better!), a really old-school Chelsea jersey, and some other random team memorabilia that I somehow acquired over the years.I absolutely love the way Barça plays and moves the ball, but my support is for their personnel and playing style. I have not followed the club through its ups and downs, and who knows whether I will watch them once Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are long gone.I started watching Juventus toward the end of last season. cheap coats (http://www.discountparkas.com) Initially, I wanted it to succeed mainly so my boyfriend wouldn't be in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I watched in hope of falling in love with a skillful, creative team, that was just an underrated version of Barça. But it was nothing like that. I saw a group that was noticeably struggling. Despite momentary sparks from wing Milos Krasic (one of the first Juve players I could identify on the field because of his blond hair and distinctive style) and the important late addition of striker Alessandro Matri, I didn't see much that I felt was worthy of my support.But what I soon realized is what it means to really support a club. As I learned more about the history of Juve, saw the pride of its supporters, and watched the team unveil its new stadium, I couldn't help but want success for the Old Lady, as it is called.I like the new manager, Antonio Conte, and the changes he's made this season. Andrea Pirlo is now one of my favorite players and has a style I aim to emulate. I admire the work-rate of right back Stephan Lichtsteiner. And I actually get kind of emotional when Alessandro Del Piero (the club's career leading scorer and most capped player) takes the field. I am far from a Juve expert, and wouldn't dare yet say "we" in reference to the team, but I watch every game and my support is growing.It is easy to watch Barça and know that they will do well and it will be an enjoyable viewing experience. I will always appreciate beautiful fútbol. But there's something to be said for being more than just a fair weather fan. I've watched Juve begin a transformation back to the north face vest men (http://www.discountparkas.com/north-face-north-face-down-vest-men-c-260_277.html) Italian powerhouse they historically have been. And I will probably need to get rid of my Inter gear next time I'm home.Midfielder Yael Averbuch, a Montclair, N.J., native by way of the University of North Carolina and the Western New York Flash of W.P.S. is a regular contributor to the Goal blog.