[Wine] Wine will not open programs after updating to Ubuntu 11.10

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Oct 23 04:38:36 CDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 23:37 -0500, Huntereb wrote:
> I figured it out, I have been trying to open the programs remotely
> through a VNC program. For some reason, wine doesn't let you open
> programs from a remote client.

Two possible causes:

- VNC isn't a true X-server. It only implements enough of the usual
  X11 facilities to handle *nix programs.

- by default it uses XFCE rather than Gnome or KDE. XFCE is fairly
  light weight and may not support features that Wine needs.

> So, does anyone know how to enable opening programs with Wine
> remotely?

Enable X11 forwarding for ssh - its disabled by default.
Login over ssh and start the program from the command line.
That works for the small number of programs I need to run under wine.

Or you could try switching VNC to use your usual desktop.

Martin