[Wine] Switched distros, now my applications don't work.

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:21:40 CDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM, originalladders
<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hello,

There are two distinct problems here and should be two threads:

Issue #1:

> I had previously installed an MMORPG (Champions Online) and Internet Explorer 8 on Ubuntu 11.04 using Wine 1.2 and
> they both worked fine. When I upgraded to 11.10 I lost sound in the game and when I checked it had been upgraded to 1.3,
> so I switched back to 1.2 and the problem was resolved.

This is what the project refers to as a regression.  I will not assume
that this is available for free and have not looked at the
Applications Database, but suggest you do so.

Issue #2:

> I recently changed to Xubuntu 11.10 (being unable to move the Unity launcher bar was incredibly annoying), under the
> impression that with the exception of the dsktop environment that Xubuntu is exactly the same as Ubuntu.
>
> Now neither work, Internet Explorer will open but will be forced to close due to an error within second, and the game's
> launcher opens to white screen with "Loading, please wait... on it and stays like that.

This may have several causes.  Can you run either program from a
terminal session and advise of any errors you receive.
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal has helpful hints.  The
main hint to remember is to change to the directory the program is
installed to and run the executible from that location.

James