[Wine] Run more than one application in wine simultaneously

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Oct 29 17:37:25 CDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 15:15 -0500, colinw wrote:
> > Install the apps in separate prefixes.
>

> How do I do that, Martin?  I'm new to this so a little wet behind the ears...

Run the command:

export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/myprefix

before installing and/or running an application. This creates a prefix
in your login directory called 'myprefix' instead of using the default,
which is $HOME/.wine

FWIW I tend to use a small script. Using your favourite text editor,
create a file containing this four line script, which is called
bin/runmyprog in this example:

================ bin/runmyprog starts after this line ================
#!/bin bash
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.myprefix
cd $WINEPREFIX/path/to/directory/containing/the/exe
wine myprogram.EXE
================ bin/runmyprog ends before this line  ================

where bin is a directory in your login directory. The script doesn't
have to go there, but by creating a bin directory and adding it to your
search path you've kept things tidy and now have a place to put other,
similar,  scripts. Use the commands:

cd
mkdir bin

to create 'bin' directory. Edit .bash_profile to add it to your search
path by finding these lines:

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
	. ~/.bashrc
fi

and adding a line after them that looks like this:

PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH

You'll need to log out and log in again to activate this change. Now
back to the script. Make it executable:

chmod u+x bin/runmyprog

and now you can launch your Wine app by typing the command
"runmyprog" and hitting RETURN. You can also use it by clicking an icon.
To do this you create a launcher as usual (with Gnome 2 by clicking the
desktop, with Gnome 3 by running the "Main Menu" applet - other desk
tops have other methods) but make it run the script rather than running
Wine directly.

Martin