[Wine] Problem with directsound / Gothic

Sun Oct 30 16:23:42 CDT 2011

I am currently trying to run Gothic 1.08j on a Debian wheezy amd64 based
machine using PlayOnLinux or just the plain wine installation. The game runs
in generel but only if sound is disabled. To get sound working, AppDB and
other tutorials advise to get the native directsound dlls and add overrides to
the wine configuration.

Whether I download the dlls and add the overrides manually or use winetricks
or similiar methods, the result is the same. The game doesn't start and
displays the error message "C:zMusic_DM.cpp(czMusic_sys_DirectMusic::Init())
Failed to create performance object!" In the console (or PlayOnLinux debug
log) I see the following error message:

"err:ole:COMPOBJ_DllList_Add couldn't load in-process dll L"C
\\windows\\system32\\dmloader.dll"
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {d2ac2892-
b39b-11d1-8704-00600893b1bd} could be created for context 0x3
"

When I remove the override for dmloader.dll the error message stays the same
but displays the name of another directsound dll. The dlls are always within
the wineprefix in the systems32 folder.

I have tried the following wine versions so far:

1.1.36
1.2.3
1.3.12

And always get the same result. Am I making a mistake by loading the dlls or
is there anything else which could have caused the problem?

Kind Regards
Helmut