[Wine] Re: "My Documents" and other symlinks to home are not

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 3 07:45:44 CDT 2011

Sorry to say this but this is a Stiff briskets issue.

Since

> lrwxrwxrwx 1 il il    8 Sep  3 14:15 My Documents -> /home/il
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 il il    8 Sep  3 14:15 My Music -> /home/il
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 il il    8 Sep  3 14:15 My Pictures -> /home/il
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 il il    8 Sep  3 14:15 My Videos -> /home/il

All point to the same location.    Users home directory.

Open up winecfg go to desktop integration change My Documents to point to like /home/il/Documents and it will magically appear.  Or you might decide to give wine its own documents directory and again it will magically appear.

When they are pointing to the generic user home directory they auto pull the disappearing act.  Mostly to motivate people to configure them to point to your document store and so on.

Yes you really don't want windows applications accessing the straight home directory if you can avoid it.

Yes if you point Desktop to /home/il it will disappear from existence as well.

lenivity the trick to non experienced basically.  Its not that they are links that it special is the path the link is pointing to.