[Wine] Gstreamer Help?

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Sat Sep 3 19:23:43 CDT 2011

On Sep 3, 2011, at 5:59 PM, SpawnHappyJake wrote:

> I have this program called ChemDraw that I use for school. It was working great yesterday in WINE 1.3.26. Then I get the bright idea to upgrade 1.3.27. Now ChemDraw doesn't work.

Do you have any idea at all why it doesn't work? Maybe we can help you.

> So I'm trying to compile WINE 1.3.26 from source so that I can run ChemDraw in 1.3.26.
> I get this error when trying to compile 1.3.26:
>> configure: gstreamer-0.10 base plugins 32-bit development files not found, gstreamer support disabled
>

> I am running 64-bit Linux. I have compiled WINE from source before (for 64-bit Linux), and this 32-bit gstreamer dev stuff was not a problem. I have ia32-libs installed. I have the 64-bit version of gstreamer-0.10 base plugins installed, and the 32 bit version does not show up in Synaptic. I hunted down a deb of the 32-bit version and tried to install by double-clicking it. It says that I have the wrong architecture, and it won't let me install it. Well, duh, I know it's a 32-bit package on a 64-bit machine, install it anyways, please. But it has no over-ride option.
>
> How important is gstreamer?
Unless ChemDraw plays video or audio with DirectShow, not at all.
> And why is it being such a bear? Why can't it call the 64-bit gstreamer I have?
The short answer is that a 32-bit binary isn't allowed to call a 64-bit library (and vice-versa). If you want to use the 64-bit gstreamer, you have to use a 64-bit Wine.

The long answer has more to do with the differing code models of 32-bit and 64-bit binaries, and how, more important, you get in and out of 64-bit mode on an x86 CPU. I won't explain it here, but if you're interested, mail me directly.

This particular problem, however, could be a symptom of gstreamer pulling in the 64-bit glib headers (in particular, glibconfig.h). This causes issues, so now the configure script will complain if you aren't using the 32-bit headers. You need the 32-bit glib headers to use 32-bit gstreamer properly.
> It didn't need a special 32-bit version before,
Yeah it did. It was just breaking silently before. Now it complains loudly.
> unless it was a part of ia32-libs (which if it was, it would still be there). What do I do? Any ideas?
You could always build glib and gstreamer from source :).