[Wine] Re: Forum Software Update and mailing list gateway
wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Sep 4 13:53:53 CDT 2011
> Lets look at some numbers shell we?
> Since forum introduction we've seen a 10 fold increase in number of posts:
> Average number of posts per month in 2007: 164
> Average number of posts per month in 2008: 1700
> Clearly no one can argue that ML list was as active as forum. And that forum was and still is a hit with Wine user base.
> Now, looking at the last 6 months:
> On average 83% of all posts coming from forum. Remaining 17% that came from ML are split between 8% James, 5% top 5 posters and 4% everyone else.
> What does that mean? It means that most people do indeed use forum and not the mailing list. In fact number of posts that came from ML, not counting James', dropped to 1/2 of what it was before forum introduction.
> Since development on forum2mail interface is dead and never gotten out of alpha anyway (for phpbb 3.x) it will most likely stay that way. There are some alternatives to reading forum via e-mail (digest), rss. But they will have same issues with spam as we do now.
> To sum it up. Regardless what we decide to do, we have to consider forum first then ML. If we can work with top ML posters and persuade them to use forum we can have 95% of all users in one place.
Agreed. We've got to think of the user base instead of what's handier to "us".
More information about the wine-users