[Wine] Re: Pulse audo in 1.3.25+

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 5 11:45:43 CDT 2011

MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM, MacNean Tyrrell <dardack at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I don't have pulse installed and I have sound everywhere except in wine
> > > since wine version 1.3.25. Is it possible that part of your problem is the
> > > in-progress-but-not-completed changes to sound in wine? I haven't had any
> > > luck tracking an answer down for that in my case am an not sure how we would
> > > tell if that applied to your issue.
> > >

> > If I upgrade to 11.04 Ubuntu (which has a newer Pulse server) I can get
> > sound for 30-40 minutes.  However, there is a bug in libasound2-plugins
> > (basically alsa-plugins) that causes the alsa plugin to fail after awhile.
> > It's fixed in 11.10.  I really hate unity, but like the simplicity of
> > ubuntu.  So not sure what i'm gonna do right now.
> >

> Hmm sorry last one went to personal instead of wine-users.  Also, I think
> without pulse and straight up alsa, wine .25+ is supposed to just work.
>

> > --
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > MacNean C. Tyrrell
> >

> --
> Sincerely,
>
> MacNean C. Tyrrell
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Can't you configure Pulseaudio to go through an ALSA device that uses dmix instead of talking to the hardware? Then you could have Wine use that device as well, bypassing pulse. You'd also setup the environment so that all the other apps would use the "pulse" device, which would lead to Pulse, which would lead to the dmix device, but with the advantages of Pulse.

Cheers,

Jorl17