[Wine] Pulse audo in 1.3.25+

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 12:03:42 CDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM, jorl17 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> MacNean Tyrrell wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM, MacNean Tyrrell <dardack at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> sound in

> wine
> is the
> any
> we would
> > > >

> > > If I upgrade to 11.04 Ubuntu (which has a newer Pulse server) I can get
> > > sound for 30-40 minutes.  However, there is a bug in libasound2-plugins
> > > (basically alsa-plugins) that causes the alsa plugin to fail after
> awhile.
> > > It's fixed in 11.10.  I really hate unity, but like the simplicity of
> > > ubuntu.  So not sure what i'm gonna do right now.
> > >

> > Hmm sorry last one went to personal instead of wine-users.  Also, I think
> > without pulse and straight up alsa, wine .25+ is supposed to just work.
> >

> > > --
> > > Sincerely,
> > >
> > > MacNean C. Tyrrell
> > >

> > --
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > MacNean C. Tyrrell
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-users/attachments/20110905/2dc1b298/attachment.html
> >

> Can't you configure Pulseaudio to go through an ALSA device that uses dmix
> instead of talking to the hardware? Then you could have Wine use that device
> as well, bypassing pulse. You'd also setup the environment so that all the
> other apps would use the "pulse" device, which would lead to Pulse, which
> would lead to the dmix device, but with the advantages of Pulse.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  Or even if I semi do, not how
to implement it.  I remember years ago when alsa and my sound cards didn't
like each other, and getting sound into linux at all was problematic for me.
 Then when pulse was introduced with w/e Ubuntu release, I finally had great
sound support, but the alsa-plugin for pulse caused wow/vent to not like
each other, and even without vent up, eventually the sound would become
distorted over time.  So I found the unsupported wine-pulse patch, that made
my life great, wine (WoW/Steam mainly) with sound through pulse.  Perfect
sound all the way around.

Now I get rewriting the sound server for wine was a necessity, but it broke
the wine-pulse patches (which I'm not complaining about, just want to make
that known).  So in order for me to keep up with greatest wine, I have to
use the alsa-plugin for pulse, but in 10.10 ubuntu the pulse server is too
old, and even in 11.04 the alsa-plugins have a bug where alsa plugin to
pulse looses sound after a time.

Don't want to go to 11.10, someone emailed me about Mint Linux, but I've
just got every machine in my house running Ubuntu (except 1 windows xp
licesnse I have for my skype landline phone (usb->phone jack)).  So not sure
I want to jump ships just yet, and not even sure Mint Linux is running the
correct pulse/alsa-plugin patches.

So I either stick with 1.3.24 for now with wine-pulse patch, or try and
figure out how to upgrade pulse server/alsa-plugins (the other complication
is I need 32bit alsa plugins don't I? for Wine?  I have 64bit OS, 32bit
wine.  When I compiled my own Pulse, I got sound in everything but Wine.
 Even google/flash/youtube/w/e created it's alsa-plugin in pulse, so
somewhere wine wasn't creating that plugin).

I know this is long, just explaining where I've been.  Now your saying
create an alsa device and have pulse run through it?  I guess I don't follow
completely.

Cheers,

--
Sincerely,