[Wine] Re: cannot find system32 error

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 5 17:07:06 CDT 2011

mmh wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  The program file is in my Applications folder.  When it installs it seems to unpack it into the Program folder on Drive C (I've installed it twice now as OpenBUGS and OpenBUGS321 (version 3.2.1)).   I suspected I didn't have the correct location for the file, and I can't find anything on my machine called OpenBUGs by searching (except in the Applications folder).  I am not a programmer (obviously); thanks for the help.  I just want to do some Bayesian statistics on my Mac.
>
> MMH-MacBook-Pro:OpenBugs MMH$ cd /Applications/OpenBugs
> MMH-MacBook-Pro:OpenBugs MMH$ wine OpenBUGS.exe
> fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub
> fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c046 00000001
> fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c046 00000001
> fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilter c046 00000001
> fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
> MMH-MacBook-Pro:OpenBugs MMH$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/
> MMH-MacBook-Pro:Program Files MMH$ ls
> Common Files		Internet Explorer	OpenBUGS
> MMH-MacBook-Pro:Program Files MMH$ ls OpenBUGS
> OpenBUGS         	OpenBUGS321
> MMHMacBook-Pro:Program Files MMH$ wine OpenBUGS
> wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\OpenBUGS.exe"

First.. never install it to /Applications as that is not a normal full access folder, and anyone else trying to use something with Wine there won't really work right anyways.

Its best to leave things for normal Wine usage in either ~/.wine or some other folder you choose in your home folder.

IN the last part you list there, you just did a ls OpenBUGS which doesn't change directories, it just lists the contents.  You need to...
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/OpenBUGS
and cd into whatever ever other folders you have to until you are in the folder with the exe file... then
wine WhateverTheExeFileIsNamed.exe

if it ever says it cannot find it in system32, that means its not in the current folder you are in, so it defaulted back to trying to find it in system32, and couldn't find it there either.