[Wine] lotro - no sound or options alsa/wine 1.3.27

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Tue Sep 6 11:38:37 CDT 2011

Pre wine version 1.2.26 sound worked fine in lotro and the in game audio
options page showed the sound card in a dropdown box and titles for all
of the sound option slide bars.

In 1.3.26 and now 1.3.27 there is no sound in game and the audio options
window does not show any sound card or titles for the sound options or
various volume slider bars and all of the bars are set at minimum. The
bars can be raised but doing so does not change anything.

wine version 1.3.27 install from openSuse 11.4 repos
winecfg audio tab settings: alsa driver, hardware acceleration = full
(tried on emulation as well with, no change to sound.), default sample
rate = 44100, default bits per sample = 16.

hitting the 'test sound' button on the winecfg audio tab plays sound in
both full and emulation hardware acceleration options but does give the
error:

fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA NVidia,
disabling mixer
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 8
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels

I'm not sure how to tell if those are ignorable fixmes or are part of
the problem.

I have checked through my graphic software management tool (yast) and
could not find any parts of pulseaudio installed and I also checked by
command line to remove anything pulse*.* and pavu*.* so I do not think
there is a pulseaudio conflict lurking on the system. The machine is KDE
by default and I have tried to keep it gnome free to avoid conflicts.

Google searching showed a similar issue on the game forum which was
fixed in windows by renaming the "userpreferences.ini" file found in "my
documents" -> "the lord of the rings online" folder and restarting the
game so a new .ini was created. Doing so did not change anything for me.

A page on the Codeweavers site says for their set up using alsa and no
pulse should work fine, but I do not know how well that applies to wine
(http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/cat/?app_id=2869;tips=1) (in
the FAQ section of the page under 'lotro has no sound (linux)).

Does anyone have ideas of where or what else I can check, change or test?