[Wine] Pulse audo in 1.3.25+

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:17:49 CDT 2011

Trying email response once more, will check forums to see.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:03 PM, jorl17 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > load-module module-alsa-source device=dsnoop
> > load-module module-alsa-sink device=dmix
> >

> > no asoundrc file needed (in fact even when I put a asoundrc such as
> partial: pcm.!default {
> >         type plug
> >         slave.pcm "dmixer"
> > }
> >
> > if i cchanged dmix to dmixer it wouldn't work.  Maybe I'm doing something
> wrong with the .asoundrc file.
> >

> Hm... Was that the essential change you added in the asoundrc file? Because
> if that was it then it's normal for it not work. Not only are you changing
> the default device (which you shouldn't do, as it should *still* point to
> pulse), but you're also not creating the dmixer device, (I think). I don't
> know why you don't get sound. It's puzzling me, to be honest. My suggestion
> is that of manually creating a dsnoop-based device. try to insert this in
> the .asoundrc file:
>

> Code:
> pcm.dsnooped {
>        type dsnoop
>        ipc_key 2048 #Any value at random. Really, any value.
>        slave {
>                pcm "hw:0" #Or whatever your card is
>        }
> }
>

> Then, instead of adding dsnoop in that line, add dsnooped. See if it works.
> If it doesn't and if you *don't* need Wine to pick up your microphone, you
> could just have Pulseaudio access your sound card directly for recording,
> using hw:0.
>
> I'd recommend you to do the same for a dmix device:
>

> Code:
> pcm.dmixed {
>        type dmix
>                ipc_key 5678293 #Any value at random. Really, any value.
>                ipc_perm 0666
>                slave {
>                        pcm "hw:0" #Or whatever your card is
> # These are all optional and are here for fine-tunning later on.
> #                       period_time 0
> #                       period_size 8192
> #                       buffer_size 32768
> #                       rate 48000
> #                       format S16_LE
>                }
> }
>

> Then, create a "duplex" device to join these together:
>

> Code:
> pcm.duplex_for_pulse {
>        type plug
>        slave {
>                pcm {
>                        type asym
>                        playback.pcm "dmixed"
>                        capture.pcm  "dsnooped"
>                }
>        }
> }
>

> Now use that device in both lines in the pulseaudio file. See if that
> works.
>
> Make sure that you don't change the default device, or even anything pulse
> related. default should still point to pulse, otherwise nothing will go
> through pulseaudio and things might get really nasty.

OK, i think I understand, I want an .asoundrc file start blank, then put in:

[code]
pcm.dsnooped {
       type dsnoop
       ipc_key 2048 #Any value at random. Really, any value.
       slave {
               pcm "hw:0" #Or whatever your card is
       }
}
*#it's hw0:0 no?*
*
*
[...]

Save it to my ~/ directory.

Then edit /etc/pulse/default.pa and add:
[code]
load-module module-alsa-sink device=duplex_for_pulse
load-module module-alsa-source device=duplex_for_pulse
[/code]
Do I have to comment out the udev/idle lines?

dardack wrote:

> > OK so sound works, but my mic doesn't. If I unmute it in alsamixer, it
> goes straight to my headphones, no recoding software picks it up.
> >
> > Also no sound in virtualbox anymore so far That i've discovered don't
> work, Flash player in Chrome doesn't work (didn't try firefox).   VLC/Totem
> work.
> >

> See above.
>

> dardack wrote:
> >
> > 2nd email:
> >
> > OK thinking.  I ptu in the default default.pa back, then I booted, ran
> the padevchooser (or the manager w/e it's called).  I see this under
> sink/source/devices/modules:
> >
> > module-alsa-card device_id="0" name="pci-0000_00_1b.0"
> card_name="alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0" tsched=yes
> ignore_db=no_card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1"
> >
> > Default Source:  alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
> > Default Sink: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
> >
> > Could I somehow use this information to get mic/better alsa output
> support?
>

> I don't think that's of any use at all. At least not for now. Also, you
> don't need to reboot, as you probably know. You only have to kill pulseaudio
> and restart it. (I'm not sure if there's a service for it in Ubuntu).

I thought this, i would do a sudo service pulseaudio restart, it would say
pulseaudio user something i forget.  Maybe I needed a sudo pulseaudio -k.
 Not sure.  I would log out and back in, and most things in asoundrc would
take affect, but not all things in default.pa all the time.  I know I had to
reboot for changes with certain things to actually take place.  Not always,
like I could remove the alsa-sink and add it and pulse would get/loose
sound.  But it was weird.

Um at work right now, but will definetely try this later.  I at least know
messing with default.pa/asoundrc doesn't make me reinstall the OS. I tried
upgrading pulse/alsa-plugins to the unbugged versions, with new deb's,
installing the new dependencies, but it always wanted to remvoe gnome
eventually, then sound just stopped working, I could never get it back.
 Reinstalled OS twice trying to get things working with wine/alsa/pulse in
Ubuntu (I mean perfectly, loosing sound after 30 minutes isn't acceptable to
me personally).  So at least with this, I was able to restore original
default.pa, remove asoundrc and sound works like a fresh install again.

Cheers,

> Jorl17[/code]

Appreciate your help a ton.  Btw does [/code] work on the forums properly?

--
Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell