[Wine] help with warcraft please launcher problem

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 15:08:39 CDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Nick687 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> dardack wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Nick687 <wineforum-user at winehq.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > > when ever my toon touches any kind of water (fountain, lake, pool, ect)
> the
> > > game crashes...in advanced graphics options it only gives me a DirectX9
> > > option =\
> > >

> > > You will only get d9 in wine, as d10/11 isn't coded in yet from what I
> > >
> > understand of wine.  First thing I'd try is using the opengl flag (2
> places,
> > either in your WoW/WTF/Config.wtf Set gxApi "OpenGL", or from the command
> > line run of wow.exe, wine Wow.exe -opengl).
> >
> > Also, what graphics card are you using, what drivers/version?
> >

> > --
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > MacNean C. Tyrrell
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-users/attachments/20110906/f3b19c9e/attachment.html
> >

> you sir are a genius.....altering the config.wtf file worked like a charm.
> my problem is fixed finally after two days...and since you asked i have ati
> radeon 3100 with the most recent official drivers

IMO everyone running wow in wine shoudl use the opengl flag.  Without it,
wine is converting the directx commands to opengl, creates extra layer of
stuff, that can cause issues.  I used to crash randomly without the opengl
flag.

Yea I hear the ati drivers are btter now then they ever have been for linux,
but I still buy machines with nvidia inside just because of linux support.
 So sometimes the wine/graphic issues are related more towards Intel first,
ATI second, then nvidia (ie more problems in that order).

--
Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell