[Wine] Re: Wine 1.3.26 no output from linux console to windows console

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 7 09:20:30 CDT 2011

C3PO wrote:
> Could you clarify what first person view in terms of MC means?

FAR doesn't talk directly to file system, but via Wine. It can not see the difference between regular file symlink, hardlink, pipe, character device.

C3PO wrote:

> vitamin wrote:
> > - Set correct file permissions
>
> Wong it can do it.

I'd like to see you set 04755 permission on a file or 01777 on a directory.

C3PO wrote:

> vitamin wrote:
> > - Change group/ownership of files
>
> Wrong it can it.

Wine doesn't read system users and groups. Without it you can't set correct ownership. But even aside from that, try setting a file owner to a specific UID or group to some GID.

C3PO wrote:

> vitamin wrote:
> >
> > - Create/show/edit symlinks
> >

> Again not true.

Windows' symlinks have nothing to do with *NIX symlinks. Don't mix the two.

C3PO wrote:

> vitamin wrote:
> >
> > - Properly handle special files
> > - Correctly understand *NIX paths
> > - Handle multiple files with the same name but different case (eg "file" and "File" and "FILE")
>
> You're wrong. It can do it under WINE.

What Wine can't FAR can't. And trust me, Wine can't do and won't do lots of things. As an example Wine won't show you symlinks if they point to a parent directory...

The whole reason I'm trying to tell you not to use FAR for system administration, or file operations because you will break your system. Regular shell will be better then FAR.