[Wine] Integrated Intel Card Error

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:43:43 CDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Entanglement <wineforum-user at winehq.org>wrote:

> Currently I can't get a different video card. As a college student I'm a
> little low on cash, which is why I was hoping that maybe this video card was
> supported and I could get some help.
>
> If it means anything, Guild Wars (another program I run under Wine) works
> fine with -dx8 and -noshaders
>

> The problem is I believe Steam automatically tries to use dx9.  I might be
mistaken, but since all games purchased with steam require steam, I think
steam may force dx9.  You could try to force dx8, but not sure how to do
that with steam.  Just did a quick google:

*-dxlevel <level>* - Forces a specific DirectX
version<http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/DirectX_Versions> when
launching the engine. This is useful if your graphics card is DirectX 9
capable, but a lot faster using only DirectX 8 (e.g. NVidia GeForce FX
5200). Multiply the desired DirectX version to use with ten. E.g. for
DirectX 8.0 you would use -dxlevel 80. For DX9 there are three possible
values depending on the Shader Model the graphics card supports. See
mat_dxlevel <http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Mat_dxlevel>.

>From http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Command_Line_Options looks like
you can also force the shader thing.  Give it a try.

And I've been there man.  However, if you got like $25 you can get a 512mb
nvidia 8400 new, and if you don't mind used, I've seen some GTS 2xx go for
like $10 + $5 shipping before. But i understand no cash situation.

--
Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell