[Wine] WoW in Wine - PC freezes randomly

Kari Laine klaine8 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:36:23 CDT 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:53 PM, kainisma <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hi there
> im new at the whole thing of linux, and newer in Wine.
> I mostly use Wine to run World of Warcraft  in Ubuntu 11.04
> i finally got the game to run correctly, and with no sound/video problems.
> The only problem i'm having is that, sometimes,  when im inside World of wrcraft,  sometimes the pc freezes... not only the wine, or the game,  but the whole computer. I cant do anything but  shut down or restar the computer (manually ) then i  turn on the computer and keep on playin or whatever... and maybe if im again on the game,  maybe it frezes again...
> so...  dunno... i was hoping if someone could help me.  I've searched all over the internet and found nothing about this.  Some ppl have a similar problem, that the game crashes or wine freezes...  but it's not my case...  the whole computer is freezing in my case...
>
> anyway, thank you very much

I am learning Wine myself. But for the hanging.

I am pretty sure Wine or the program running inside it does not hang
the computer - meaning kernel panic. The X (user interface) might
hang, which is as bad as computer hanging.

You could try CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to get out. Then there is SysRq key
combinations which would allow you to cleanly reboot. Sorry don't
remember these - I have not had stability problems for years.

Also a good way is to use ssh if you have two machines. Write down the
IP address of the machine before running Wine. When it hangs write ssh
<IP address> and it opens a shell to the hang machine. Then you can
reboot it cleanly. If your other machine is Windows google for putty.
It is a free ssh client for Windows.

It just occurred to me that if you use closed source binary drivers
from Nvidia or ATI (AMD) then those drivers could hang the whole
machine causing kernel panic. And you are probably using them...

I would also check memory of the machine. There is a free good test
program - was it memcheck+ or something.

I would also check for the hard disk with manufacturers diagnostic program.

If you know how to compile kernel, that's a good test. With option -j4
for example.

Sorry if this does not help.

Best Regards
Kari